Thursday 31 January 2008

Power cut ridiculissimo

A morning of madness. Alarms outside, and a very agitated dog, alerted the entire household to the fact that the power had gone off at 05:40. Not so much of a problem except the heating would not be on when it was time to get up and everyone would start the day in a grumpy mood.

More house alarms let us know the power came back at 07:03, but only for about 5 seconds. Then same thing happened again at (times from my UPS log) 07:08, 07:28, 07:31, 07:40, 07:59, 08:02 and finally at 08:06 the power came on and stayed on. Eighth time lucky!

It seems that someone at CE Electric has a grudge against my electronic equipment and is hoping to toast some if not all of it. I suppose I'll find out later today if they've been successful. Update. One of my Linksys routers is dead. F**ckers! >:-<

After Monday's power cut the heating at Tom's school had not started as expected and the children had to wear their coats in their classrooms until morning break. We wondered whether there would be a similar problem this morning and listened to the local radio where we heard all the schools were open. Needless to say, Tom was very disappointed. However, a brief excursion into the strong winds and rain revealed that his wish had been granted and his school was closed for the day.

I'll devote some time this morning to see how much more of my IT estate I can get behind the UPS or indeed how much bigger a UPS I might be able to justify.

1 comment :

Clint said...

Personally I think they were aiming for your Buffalo WRT, and the Linksys was just an innocent bystander ;-p

I want to see the calculations to run your house on a UPS - or even better - why not try and convince the boss that a generator would save all the hassle.

I'm still waiting for the photo post of you sitting in the dark (night-mode shot would be great - cool green) with your laptop on your knee beside the UPS.