Saturday 25 October 2008

A Saturday morning lie-in

With the boy under strict instructions not to leave his room until 8am at the earliest, Mrs S and I were looking forward to a reasonable lie-in after an unusual string of early morning starts during the past week. Thanks go to CE Electric UK for preventing our attempted lapse into this slothful sort of behaviour.

07:32 Power off. Everyone's house alarms sounding, my UPSes beeping and Mrs S nagging. :-(
08:16 Power back on but at 88VAC. Stuff with motors being fried. :-|
08:32 Power off. Motors breathe a sigh of relief. :-)
08:48 Power restored. :-)

A few things spring to mind. Firstly, I noted the hexadecimal symmetry of the timings, all taken from the UPS logs. Secondly, what the chuff caused a power cut at seven thirty on a Saturday morning? Hardly a time when demand would be at a peak. And thirdly, I discovered that I am unwilling to fire up my generator when it's early and cold. Perhaps I should have splashed out on the auto-start option after all.

We're now looking forward to the extra hour in bed tonight as the clocks go back. Woe betide anything or anyone who wakes me up in the morning!

No comments :